HEY GUYS, WHAT THE _____ !
There is a saying that goes, “A new broom sweeps clean, but the old brush knows all the corners.”
In the Stars case last night, the 3rd oldest team in the league became very familiar with being put in the time-out corner for bad behavior as veteran players took unnecessary penalties in the game’s final five minutes en route to another late game meltdown at Staples Center against the youngest team in the National Hockey League.
Forget the broom – they need a mop – and some tissue…again.
The last time the Kings trailed by three goals in a game and won was November of 2007, at Staples, against the Dallas Stars (Down 4-0 they won 6-5 in OT) making last night’s collapse more habit than aberration.
How costly will that point lost be come April 11th? Who knows?
What I do know is that perception is not reality when it comes to “lost points” for the Stars this season. It might not seem this way but they’ve actually “earned” more points with late game rallies than they’ve “lost”, by a 5 to 2 ratio.
- Opening night vs Columbus…down 4-2 they scored 2 goals in the final three minutes before bowing in overtime (point earned)
- Versus the Capitals…down 5-4 they score with a minute to go to force OT then lose in the extra session.(point earned)
- In Ottawa…trailing 4-3 Steve Ott scores with 5 ½ minutes left in regulation to earn a point before losing in OT.(point earned)
- Against the Ducks…Ribeiro scores with a minute to play to tie it at three and then they get the extra point in overtime.(point earned)
- Vs the Red Wings…Ott again, he scores with 3 minutes to go to tie the score at 4-4 and then Daley wins it in overtime.(point earned)
- Against Buffalo…up 4-2 they get rattled by the Sabres when they allow two goals in the final 10 minutes then lose the shootout.(point lost)
- Last night in LA…up 4-2 they allow a ppg with 3 minutes to play, then the tying goal with just 14 seconds to go before losing about a minute into overtime.(point lost)
On three other occasions they went on to win in shootouts despite blowing a lead late in regulation.
- Svatos tied game for the Avalanche with a minute to go.
- The Blue Jackets scored twice in the final 5 ½ minutes to force extra time.
- Those Kings again, Ribeiro put the Stars up with a minute to play then Frolov sent it to OT with 17 seconds to play.
I’m sure everyone involved would prefer a more stable ride but that just isn’t the 08-09 Stars now is it.
No, this year, with all that has transpired, they seem about as stable as that Tatiana chick from American Idol (very hormonal and rocky) – and she got voted off last night.
Let’s hope the Stars don’t suffer a similar fate come April.
Posted on March 6, 2009 11:33 AM Email Razor
Send this article to a friend