NHL R&D IDEAS THAT RAZOR LIKES OR SOUND SUSPICIOUSLY LIKE RAZOR-IDEAS
As we speak, the league is in the midst of what I think is the most intelligent, important and prior to the lockout, the most inexcusably overlooked, endeavor. They are conducting a research and development camp using players who are eligible for next summer's entry draft (17 year olds)
Thank you Brendan Shanahan.
Under his leadership they are experimenting with ideas that could improve the NHL product.
Here are the ones from this years camp that me likey:
• No line change for team committing an offside
---- let's get the game moving again. Extension of current icing rule.
• No icing permitted while shorthanded
-- duh, and it aids fan safety, but it'll cut down 5 on 3 pp time
• Verification line (additional line behind the goal line)
-- an easy way to aid goal reviews
• Overtime variation (four minutes of 4--on--4 followed by three minutes
-- Razor endorsed
• Face--off variations (both centers must come set on whistle; all
face--offs in circles)
-- why should home center get advantage? Face--offs in circles will eliminate encroachers
• Remove trapezoid
-- stupid now, dumb when introduced
• Allow hand passes in all zones
-- A Razor idea whose time perhaps has finally come
• Overtime variation (switch ends)
-- long changes (or short, if on attack) = scoring opps
• Shootout variation (5--man shootout with repeat players if tied after
-- always felt it was too much pomp to only have 3 shooters, use your 5 best...not your 5 goal (career) defenseman
• Thin--netting nets
-- camera views
• All penalties to be served in their entirety
-- make a penalty penal again (that wasn't intended to sound dirty but...god I'm childish)
• On--ice officials communication – ref--to--ref wireless
-- we have coach to coach don't we? Plus, maybe we can hack--in?
• Overhead camera – to assist Hockey Operations reviews of various
-- another chance to get it right
• In--net camera – mounted camera at one end with one net with camera
view focused on the goal line to help verify goals
-- Big Brother!
• Robotic camera – to test camera angles for coverage closer to ice
-- the more we can take you the fan closer to the action the better
• Curved glass – protection options at players bench areas
-- I like the idea of getting ahead of this BEFORE an incident.
Posted on August 10, 2011 10:09 AM Email Razor
Send this article to a friend